b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex. 3:14 Ehyeh has sent me to you

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: cornelis den hertog <cok17 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex. 3:14 Ehyeh has sent me to you
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 10:16:51 +0100

From: if AT math.bu.edu
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 19:05:01 -0500

(...) 2. Moses never mentions EHEYEH upon his return to Egypt, in fact, EHEYEH is never mentioned again.
(...) 4. In conclusion, Ex. 3:13-15 appears to be an enigmatic textual sidestep.

Isaac Fried

Dear Isaac,

You are right that the name Ehyeh is never mentioned again. But what does it prove? That it

is insignificant? In fact, you can delete the whole narrative of the call of Moses and the story of

Exodus still runs smoothly. Nothing in Exodus after the call narrative presupposes this narrative

necessarily. In my view, it seems natural to connect the statement ‘Ehyeh has sent me to you)

(including the name Ehyeh), yes, even the famous verses of Exod 3:13-15 as a whole with the

central motif of this narrative, the commissioning of Moses (and not to treat it as a digression in it,

as is usual).

Cornelis den Hertog