b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Frank Matheus" <post AT matheus.de>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] tense
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:06:17 +0100

Dear list,

according to our earlier discussion, tense and aspect are likewise connected to verbal realizations, though they might not be expressed by the verb itself. A certain phrase can once be “tense”, another time “aspect” – there is no difference in English and Hebrew in this regard. The sentence I have finished the book refers to the past, the verbal phrase expresses tense. The same proposition may appear in another text with a different function: “When I have finished the book, I’ll return it to you”. Now the phrase points to the future, and it is aspect, as it links the two events “to finish a book” and “to give it back”. Once uttered, this relation between “earlier” and “later” never changes.

Frank