b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Alleged "prophetic tense"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Barry <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Alleged "prophetic tense"
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 17:46:13 -0800

Barry:

I don’ty know of any published articles in journals that deal specifically with this question. However, I have published on this list reasons why this “prophetic tense” is a fallacy.

The so-called “prophetic tense” comes from the belief that the Qatal form of verbs codes for the past tense. While that is true for modern Hebrew, and I’m not sure for how much earlier, it’s not true for Biblical Hebrew. In Biblical Hebrew, the Qatal and Yiqtol forms code for neither tense nor aspect, rather for mood: the basic moods being primary vs. secondary moods. Hence, future events written about in Qatal form refers to a primary use of the verb, indicative, of an event that has not yet come.

The Yiqtol secondary use is also secondary to the subjunctive mood, as well as indicating results of the primary verb, intent and continuation of narrative.

It seems to me that sometimes the choice of Qatal or Yiqtol might be related to grammatical use, but that impression may merely be the result of poor understanding of the text on my part.

Karl W. Randolph.