b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Peqach vs Petah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Peqach vs Petah
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 06:18:49 +0200

Yes, I agree with Karl.
pqx refers to "open eyes or ears", namely to see clearly in a mental or
intellectual sense.
ptx is to open, an opening in a general sense.

The fact that these two words share two root letters does not forcely mean
that they share an ancient common root.
Compare with the English "cat" and "cast": three letters in common... but
quite different in meaning. .

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)