b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Peqach vs Petah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Bill <wrschmidt2 AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Peqach vs Petah
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:09:30 -0700

Bill:

While I list the two terms as synonyms in my dictionary, they have
distinctly different meanings as listed below.

פקח to open in the sense of giving vision, hearing

פתח to open, the basic sense is to open a hole, opening, door ⇒ to dig or
engrave a hole, ditch, groove as in writing, furrow in field, carving in
relief on a wall or door
As for Gesenius, he is wrong in so many places that I no longer take
anything he wrote at face value. In fact, my dictionary started out as
corrections in the margins of his dictionary as I read Tanakh through over
and over again.

As for etymology, without clear examples to guide us, is mere speculation
with a greater chance of being wrong than right.

Karl W. Randolph.