b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of "Hebrew"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of "Hebrew"
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:52:56 -0700

Yigal:

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il> wrote:

> Hello Karl,
>
> Since your argument here is entirely historical/chronological, I for one
> do not intend to engage it. We've already established our different
> opinions on the issues involved.
>
> Yigal Levin
>

> The only reason I mentioned it is in relation to our possible
understandings of the linguistic question involved.

If the archaeologically attested departure of the “Asiatic slaves” during
the 13th dynasty is the same as the Exodus, then certain understandings of
the connections of “Hebrew” with “Apiru” are untenable. The same with the
archaeologically attested connection of the Amarna period with ninth
century and later Levant.

If the dates are as you claim, then other options are available.

Beyond these linguistic implications, I have no interest in arguing dates
and times. But I believe these options ought be on the table in a
discussion of an issue that has historical clues for its resolution.