b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of "Hebrew"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of "Hebrew"
  • Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:06:38 +0300

Hi Chavoux,

Good questions, all, and I very much doubt that you (or anyone else) will
ever really be able to find a complete set of answers. The term "(Ibri"
appears in different contexts. One of our problems, however, is that all of
the relevant data is biblical - we have no extra-biblical references to work
with (except the "Apiru" - more on that bellow). Yes, it makes sense that
Ibri is someone from "across the river" and that THE River is the Euphrates,
but as seen from which direction? One could claim that the perspective is
Mesopotamian, as in the Mesopotamian term Ever Hanahar (eber-nari), which
refers to the lands west of the Euphrates. But of course Abraham and co. were
originally from east of the River. They may have only become Ibrim after
crossing from east to west. But that would make Ibrim those who came from the
east and are now in the west.

The relationship of the Ibrim to Eber is also a good question. Should we see
Eber as a historical figure, or is he an artificial, literary, "eponymous
ancestor" of the Ibrim?

Yes, it would seem that the term Ibrim originally referred to more than just
the Israelites. I assume that the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites etc. would
also be Ibrim, at least in the Bible's mind, since the Bible considers them
to be descended from the same family that "crossed over". But in most of the
biblical references to Ibrim, the term seems to refer to just Israelites.

In most references, Ibrim seems to be an ethnic designation. On the other
hand it is sometimes used as a social class. Take a look at 1 Sam. 13 and
note the interplay between "man of Israel" and Ibrim there. I like your
reference to the Gypsies/Romani, but I'm not sure if in the case of the Ibrim
it didn't work the other way.

Which brings us back to the Apiru. When the Amarna texts were first
published, this term was read as "Habiru", which reminded people of "Hebrew"
(and the equivalent term in most European languages). And since at the time
it was thought that the Israelite conquest of Canaan should be dated to the
14th century, and in the Amarna texts the "kings" of such cities as Megiddo,
Shechem, Gezer and Jerusalem complain that they are being attacked by the
"Habiru", scholars thought that they had come upon the Canaanite version of
the book of Joshua!

However, as more evidence came to light, scholars realized several things:

1. All of the evidence that we have for the actual "conquest and settlement"
is from about 1200 and later. Indeed, after the Amarna period the Egyptians
remained in control of Canaan for almost two centuries. However the book of
Joshua makes no mention of any Egyptian presence in Canaan when the
Israelites arrive. So obviously the "Habiru" can't be THOSE Israelites.

2. After more careful reading of the texts, it seems that "Apiru" is not an
ethnic term but a social one. Apiru are not "tribes" and not "nomads" and not
"Bedouin" but rather "outlaws", who work as mercenaries and as bandits, very
much like Jephtah, David and Robin Hood. So while some Ibrim might be Apiru,
the terms are not interchangeable.

3. Unless, of course, you accept the Mendenhall-Gottwald hypothesis that the
Israelites originated as Canaanite revolutionaries or refugees. For them,
seeing the 12th century Ibrim as the direct outcome of the 14th century
social phenomenon of Apiru makes sense. The late Prof. Rainey, whom you cite,
very much opposed this view.

4. It's not "Habiru" (from XBR) but "(Apiru" (from (PR). For some scholars
this is not a problem, as (PR and (BR could be variants of the same root. In
Rainey's opinion, the original meaning of Apiru came from (PR - aphar -
"dust" - the Apiru were "those who lived in the dust" (outside of towns). So
he claimed that there could be no etymological connection between Apiru and
Ibri.

5. The BAR article that you cite discusses (if I recall correctly) Frank
Yurco's suggestion that some of the Shasu shown on Merneptah's relief at
Karnak may be the same as the "Yisrair/l" ("Israel") mentioned in his victory
stele. Rainey's point is that the Bible's description of the pre-conquest
Israelites as nomadic tribes fits what the Egyptians called Shasu much more
than what they called Apiru.

I hope all of that was helpful.

Yigal Levin