b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any difference?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any difference?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:52:06 -0800

Pere:

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible, Karl, that you provide us with two sentences (in English)
> where, at comparing them, this difference in meaning, this different nuance
> between the two "understanding" is clearly seen and verified?
>
> Pere Porta
>

> Other than a few, isolated passages read with other people, I read the
whole Tanakh in English only once, decades ago, and that in archaic English
that I did not understand fully. Almost everything that I know of Tanakh I
learned from reading it in Hebrew. I don’t know of any English examples
that can show what I noticed in Hebrew.

I referenced Hebrew examples, because those are the ones that I know.

When looking at the contexts for בינה I saw no special nuance indicating
anything other than insight, understanding.

When looking at the contexts for תבונה several of them are in connection
with actions, particularly construction. Hence my conclusion.