b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] mishnaic Hebrew + Deborah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] mishnaic Hebrew + Deborah
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:15:16 -0500

David Rohl is shunned because he is so clearly wrong. Serious scholarship
will admit to that. Take a look at Assyrian Limmu lists and explain to me how
you can compress 1000 years out of it…it can't be done. The current
understanding of ancient chronology is tied to multiple strands--limmu lists,
king lists, archaeological ties between sites, tablets in cuneiform from
diverse locations, etc. You can't put Ugarit in the 1st millennium; it won't
work. You can't put the Hittite empire there, either, to say nothing of
Minoan Crete and Mycenaean Greece. And without them in the first millennium,
you can't have Amarna there, either.

Kitchen may be off here and there, but he is way closer to correct than any
chronology that would have us believing that 1000 years can just up and
decide to become 100 years…but we've been over this before in previous posts
in previous years. Maybe some future archaeologist will see the redundant
posts on B-Hebrew as evidence that the last 8 years are really just one year.
Wouldn't that be interesting from a chronological point of view? :)

James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com