b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Song of Deborah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: <jimstinehart AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Song of Deborah
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 13:17:53 -0600

OF COURSE the Song of Deborah was written in the post-exilic period like the
entire rest of the foundation of the Old Testament.

It is believed to have been passed down from a much earlier point in time.
The middle eastern archeologist who taught my Hebrew class said it was
typical of the poetry in that region at that time to have the kind of
strange, repetitive phrasing used in the Song of Deborah.

We could drop dead in astonishment if some 5th century author didn't rewrite
the poem in the "living" language of his time. I don't know why every race
of humanity that has ever lived has been innately inclined to do that,
especially when the original writing was superior poetry. So it would be
odd if not a single later language feature appears in the poem.

Very little was not redacted at that time in terms of the concerns of the
religious and political agenda of the people who shaped the Pentateuch as it
was handed down.

I read the song (in English) in church this morning, as the lesson was from
the beginning of that chapter. You will readily notice that the poem is not
even internally consistent. Several poems could have been merged together.
The poem depicts Deborah singing at herself to get up! Deborah is the
speaker in the poem, but by the end of it we have "Arise, arise, Deborah".

Some parts of the poem make no sense at all if they were written in the 5th
century, such as questioning why the tribe of Dan stayed by its ships. In
the 5th century noone had any memory of what was behind that. The golden
calf episode, though instigated by the tribe of Dan, was about something
very different. Only in the 20th century have we recovered the information
that Dan was a sea people, actually refugees from Hittite/ Luwian territory.
They were late in joining the tribes of Israel. I think that fact is
preserved in the timing with which they even come to be listed among the
tribes of Israel and sons of whoever. Their religion was Indo-European,
hence the attachment to worshipping cattle. Dan's loyalty to Israel was
always problematic, particularly during the time of the Judges.

Yours,
Dora