b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: Andronic Khandjani <andronicusmy AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 08:54:32 -0400

Andronic,

I didnt suspect any ploytheism here. I was just wondering about the
plural singular plural switch. I thought it might have been a scribal
error. Thinking about it again, I wonder if the Masorets had changed
what was once plural into singular.

וַיֹּאמַר: אֲדֹנָי, אִם-נָא מָצָאתִי חֵן בְּעֵינֶיךָ--אַל-נָא
תַעֲבֹר, מֵעַל עַבְדֶּךָ. יֻקַּח-נָא מְעַט-מַיִם, וְרַחֲצוּ
רַגְלֵיכֶם; וְהִשָּׁעֲנוּ, תַּחַת הָעֵץ. וְאֶקְחָה פַת-לֶחֶם
וְסַעֲדוּ לִבְּכֶם, אַחַר תַּעֲבֹרוּ--כִּי-עַל-כֵּן עֲבַרְתֶּם,
עַל-עַבְדְּכֶם;

Yigal,

Perhaps the Tiberians changed 'taavroo' to 'taavor' and 'avdechem' to
'avdecha'. This would have required only a bit of 'nip and tuck'.
That would have kept it all plural.

Uzi Silber