b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Your opinion?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Your opinion?
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 07:23:26 +0200

At trying to rightly distinguish the root or stem from the suffix, I find
noun &:)"T, exaltation, dignity (Gn 49:3).
Apparently this is a noun with a vowel pattern the same as:

B:)"R, pit, well (Gn 26:21)
Z:)"B, wolf (Gn 49:27)
and others.

But I remark that noun &:)"T is also found in the role of the Qal Infinitive
of verb N&), to lift (1Ch 18:11). For instance, in Gn 4:7.

So I'm wondering whether noun &:)"T is really not a noun like, say, Z:)"B
consisting of three root letters but it is rather a noun consisting of two
root letters + suffix T.

In other words: is noun &)T an Infinitive that works as a noun?
If so, do you know of some other pairs within these conditions (*) that work
this same way?
Or would this &:)"T be a special case and maybe the only case in the entire
Hebrew language?

(*) I mean: two root consonants + suffix T

Regards,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)