b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fake words on the Forum

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fake words on the Forum
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 21:22:26 +0300

Sydney,

Most of what you write below is nonsensical.

1. All writing systems are in a certain sense "artificial". That's what
writing is: it's an artificial system of putting what we call "language"
into graphics. So the question isn't whether the Masoretic vowels are
"artificial". Of course they are. The real question is whether (or better:
to what extent do) they faithfully represent the way Hebrew was pronounced
and in what period?

2. What do you mean by "biblical alphabets"? Do you mean the Paleo-Hebrew
alphabet that was used in pre-Exilic times, or the Aramaic alphabet that was
used later.

3. What do you mean by "Chaldean"? Different people use this term for
different things. Do you mean Syriac? Classic Aramaic? Neo-Babyonian?

4. What in the world do you mean by "names of the Gods"? Which names of what
Gods? Gods? As in multiple deities? Chemosh, Nabu, Isis and the like?

5. "Authorized" by whom? How do you expect the rest of us to interact with a
text of which you are the sole publisher? Is it for sale? Can it be found in
libraries or online?

6. BHL and BHS are not "manuscripts" at all. They are scholarly editions
based on the Leningrad codex, which is a manuscript of the Masoretic text,
including the vowels that you so much dislike.

7. Your closing "note" needs some real examples to be meaningful.

In general, please remember that this forum is not your personal blog. It is
a forum for discussion. In order to discuss anything, you must use the same
terms and conventions that are understood by the other members, or explain
just what it is you mean. You must also remember that this is not a forum
for expressing your personal faith, and certainly not for attempting to
convince others of that faith. Please abide by these rules.

Yigal Levin
Co-moderator, B-Hebrew