b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why Deuteronomy is called "debarim" in the Hebrew Old Testament?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why Deuteronomy is called "debarim" in the Hebrew Old Testament?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:03:45 +0200

Hi Philip,

Verses 4-5 state that "these things/words" were said when Moses had already
defeated Sihon and Og and was encamped in Moab, across the Jordan. In
Chapter 31 Moses begins his farewell speech. It is tradition that makes the
connection between the two. In my previous post I misquoted from memory.
Sorry.

Yigal Levin