b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] oaks

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] oaks
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 16:58:07 -0700

Nir:

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat.
<nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>wrote:

> the identification of the tree with oak is 100% positive?

> "magnificent" oak trees? That is...
>
> nir cohen
>
> While it is true that all oak trees produce acorns and have similarly
shaped leaves, not all of them are “magnificent”, only some are, such as
those in the American Midwest. In the American Southwest, the desert
mountain states, the oak trees are dry land oaks, and grow neither tall nor
magnificent. They grow where it is neither wet nor cool enough for pine
trees, growing tall enough for shade and some more. They also do not grow
closely together, rather leave space between them for grass, upon which
sheep can graze.

Genesis doesn’t say what sort of oaks they were, but I seriously doubt they
were the tall, magnificent, eastern forest trees.