b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 99, Issue 24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 99, Issue 24
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:37:08 -0300

dear jim,

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:29:05 EDT, JimStinehart wrote

>>> Never once is there any suggestion, much less statement, in
the text that Esau is providing meat for the community.

i was equating "ish ohalim" to "ish sadeh". if "ish ohalim" means
"provider for the community" (a pure phantasy) maybe
"ish sadeh" means the same thing (also a phantasy).

that was exactly my point, to say that it's all in the interpretation. both
your version and mine are two phantasies on the same theme. i purposely
exaggerated in some places (clearly i agree with you that esau was a hunter,
not a farmer), but my version was as exaggerated as yours.

>>> It is absolutely clear that the well-being of the community
>>> ...is almost entirely dependent on the well-being of the
>>> not on hunting (or, for that matter, farming).

both descriptions of jacob as a shephard and as a leader are anachronistic.
we were discussing the case of the soup bowl (chapter 25), which occurred
may years before jacob became a shephard, and many more (14, to be exact)
years before he became a leader. in chapter 25 he was just a teenager, and
so was esau.

from the later chapters, you can see that as jacob became a leader of his
community, esau also became leader of his respective community. but
in your version, isaac is a leader and esau is the bad guy.

>>> Your item #2 above is actually quite helpful in starting to make
sense of Genesis 25: 27.

i am glad i was helpful in any way... i am aware that my point of view
may be contradicting many of the scholars.

nir cohen

  • Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 99, Issue 24, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat., 03/23/2011