b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] gen. 25 (tam?)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: nir AT ccet.ufrn.br, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] gen. 25 (tam?)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:29:05 EDT

Nir Cohen:

1. You wrote: “esau was a hard worker: a skilled hunter (YODE( CAYD) and
farmer (ISh SADEH)….”

No, no, no! %DH can mean “places where wild animals roam”. We have just
been told that Esau is knowledgeable about wild game. In that context, %DH
must mean “places where wild animals roam”. A young teenager being a “
skilled hunter” is totally incompatible with that young teenager being a
“farmer
”.

2. You wrote: “esau was…a main provider for his family and the whole
community, for which he gained his father's esteem….”

A thousand times No! But nevertheless, you are beginning to highlight the
key issue here, in your roundabout way. Never once is there any suggestion,
much less statement, in the text that Esau is providing meat for the
community. Rather, Esau is currying favor with his father Isaac by bringing
home
wild game for Esau’s immediate family, in particular Isaac, to eat.

It is absolutely clear that the well-being of the community of which Isaac
is the leader is almost entirely dependent on the well-being of the large
flock of sheep and goats, not on hunting (or, for that matter, farming).

3. You wrote: “…while jacob never got a job (ISh TAM) and stayed

at home (ISh OHALIM) cooking and scheming with his mother, how to gain his

father's blessing by, first, taking advantage of his brother's weak moments

and, later, by cheating his dying father. i must admit i like your version
better, but...”

Note that Jacob does not lack for aggressiveness! Believe it or not,
university scholars try to tell us that Genesis 25: 27 shows Jacob as being “
self-reflective”, as opposed to Esau being “aggressive”. I will send in a
post
tomorrow that sets forth the scholarly view of Genesis 25: 27. You will
see that the most prominent Genesis scholars in the world have just as much
trouble understanding Genesis 25: 27 as you do.

The whole key here is to figure out what precise aspect of Esau’s hunting
is being castigated by the Hebrew author, and why. Your item #2 above is
actually quite helpful in starting to make sense of Genesis 25: 27.

If we can understand Genesis 25: 27, we can understand the bulk of the
Patriarchal narratives.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois