b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] language level

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Paul Zellmer <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] language level
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 23:39:48 -0600

Hello Paul;

I am no stranger to confusion, from time to time.

I think you make a good point. The spoken language preceded the written
language. Hence, the former instructed the development & expression of the
latter in alphabet form.

My original post however, dealt only with the written form of the language.

I am also not sure why the spoken language would require three base phonemes
for a verb. Why could not a verb root enjoy both:

a. a single written letter; and

b. a single vocalized phoneme or sound?

Your point also seems to dovetail with Isaac's comments concerning the
strong relationships amongst hebrew words via its common root(s).

And again, I am no expert ....; but when the hebrew language was
reconstituted in 19th century, did not the written language come first? So,
perhaps to suggest that vocalization always and in every instance precedes
the written expression, may not be accurate. Symbiosis may exist between the
two expressions.

regards,

fred burlingame