b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] guess work

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] guess work
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 21:27:49 -0600

can you imagine attempting to read or explain the book of isaiah or
deuteronomy to a group of adults who attended not college, not high school,
not grammar school; who have never read from a written book?

In 2010 a.d., that exercise would result in ... failure.

I don't see how human nature or ability has changed in 3,000 years? ...
Humans still have eyes, ears and mouths. Has their ability to understand
elevated written language, a language different from conversational language
... changed? Could humans then understand the written language read to them,
when they could not read or write it?

I don't think so; not approaching the same level of the literate levitical
priests, scribes, etc., who presumably wrote the masoretic text at a level
of language consistent with their highly trained abilities.

regards,

fred burlingame