b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the dead returns

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the dead returns
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:07:15 -0600

the more you talk, nir ... the deeper the hole gets ... and the bigger the
problem arises .... for the glory that was and is ... aramaic language ...
and its advocates.

"aramaic also fell out of favor between the greek and roman occupation,
ceasing to be understood by the average jew"

that's a low stress statement, nir ...; since pompey arrived and desecrated
the temple in 64 b.c.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pomp%C3%A9e_dans_le_Temple_de_J%C3%A9rusalem.jpg

What language was the average hebrew speaking on the streets of nazareth in
64 a.d.?

and "ma(e)gidim?" what's up with these travelling human memory banks? If
aramaic had buried hebrew by 64 a.d., why would "ma(e)gidim" travel around
the country reciting biblical hebrew to congregations that understood a word
of it ... not? It sounds pointless, if hebrew had died, and received a nice
funeral.

regards,

fred burlingame