b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sukkot

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: AMK Judaica <amkjudaica AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sukkot
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:14:18 -0400

In my humble opinion this quaint business of "gemination" is but a phantom of the imagination. I refuse to believe, not even for a moment, that the ancient Hebrews doubled in their mouth (and for what reason?) a consonant written only once, and even took the pain to mark this fantastic (and redundant) doubling by inserting an inner dot in the letter.
The text is with only one k and should be, methinks, so transliterated. If it pleases someone to "geminate", then he may do it, but he should know that no hebrew speaker does it, and he may sound not only funny but also annoying.

Have a good Sukot

Isaac Fried, Boston University