b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 17:47:04 -0700

Jim:

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM, <jimstinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Karl wrote: “[F]or you to say that the names had relationship to the type
> of people they were, is to treat the account as fiction.”
>

> That is quite similar to what Professor Yigal Levin has said to me several
> times.
>

> But if the author of chapter 14 of Genesis is an early Hebrew in the
> mid-14th century BCE, which is my theory of the case, then in the
> historical context, a non-royal author could not refer to a monarch by such
> ruler’s formal name. Rather, in that particular context, use of a nickname
> was required:

The Hebrew Old Testament consistently named kings by their given names, not
nicknames. So why should this narrative be different?

And who says that Abraham was not of royal stock?

I notice you did not comment on possible etymologies of R(, which makes your
proposed etymology quite unlikely.

Karl W. Randolph.