b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 138:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Barry'" <nebarry AT verizon.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 138:2
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 22:14:57 -0400

Barry,
I think the problem with your proposal is that there is no "and" connecting
"Your name" and "Your word". How can they both be direct objects without
"and" connecting them?

Also, I think it would be bad writing for KoL to act as a noun when it is
followed by a noun. The reader would naturally read KoL as modifying the noun
which follows it. Ps 103:19 & 145:9 are given by TWOT where KoL acts as a
noun, and in both of these it is clear that KoL cannot modify the following
verb or noun with conjunction prefix.

I would translate it: For You have magnified Your word based upon Your entire
name.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit