b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 24:6 that seek your face, O Jacob

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 24:6 that seek your face, O Jacob
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 03:09:48 +0300

On 2010/5/1 Steve Miller wrote:
> Ps 24:6 6  This is the generation of them that seek Him, that seek your
> face, O Jacob. Selah.
>
> Would it be possible to translate it as:
>
> This is the generation that seeks Him Who seeks your face, O Jacob. Selah.
>
> In other words, would it be possible for the 2nd “seek”, מבקשי, to have as
> its subject the immediately preceding pronoun suffix from the 1st “seek,
> דרשו?

No.

> A problem is that מבקשי is plural. Is it possible that מבקשי if vowelled
> differently could be singular?

No. The problem is that the syntax doesn't work. מבקשי could only be
singular if י is the suffixed pronoun "my/me" -- "the one who seeks me."
If you do that you get the same problem in syntax in trying to combine
מבקשי with פניך as you do for דרשו with מבקשי. Suffixed pronouns in
Hebrew just don't work like that. It is something like: "This is the
generation of his seekers. my seeker. your face." This is how it looks
like in Hebrew. It just doesn't work.

Yitzhak Sapir