b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Karl and Anson

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Karl and Anson
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:45:01 +0300

Anson Rainey was one of my dissertation advisors and still somewhat of a
mentor to me. This does not, of course, mean that I agree with everything
that he has ever said or written. I do have the privilege, however, to be
one of the organizers of a conference that will be held at Bar-Ilan
University in honor of Anson's 80th birthday (which was actually in
February, I think) on May 6. As soon as an English-language version of the
program (which will be mostly in Hebrew) is available I'll be happy to post
it. In general, the day will include sections dealing with Anson's three
main areas of interest: linguistics, historical geography and archaeology.

Karl, you can be excused for not knowing who Anson Rainey is, and even if
you did, you would not have to accept him as an authority for anything.
However your attitude towards others, on the list and off it, has lately
become totally out of bounds. The same is true of your replies to Jim. You
obviously do not have to accept his theories (no-one else does!), and you do
have the prerogative of not answering him (which is what I have learned to
do). But if you do chose to engage him in debate, please keep your language
appropriately respectful.

Thank you,

Yigal Levin

Co-moderator, B-Hebrew