b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of Use of maqquef

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ronald Monestime <wbsc400 AT gmail.com>
  • To: <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, Hebrew Mailing List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meaning of Use of maqquef
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:57:19 -0400

> > Is there a particular reason why some constructs, even identical ones,
> > use a maqqef while others> > do not. For example I have done a study on
> > the expression "servant of God" (ebed Yawheh) and> > some of those
> > expressions have the maqqef, while other identical ones do not.> > With
> > maqqef:Deu 34:5Jos 1:13Jos 8:31Jos 8:33Jos 12:6Jos 14:7Jos 22:52Ch 1:32Ch
> > 24:6> > Without maqqef:Jos 1:1Jos 1:15Jos 11:12Jos 13:8Jos 18:7Jos
> > 22:2Jos 22:4Jos 24:29Jdg 2:82Ki 18:12
> In all the cases you gave for with maqqef vs without maqqef, in the> with
> maqqef examples, the> preceding word has a conjunctive cantillation mark
> whereas in the> without maqqef it has a> disjunctive one. This suggests
> that in the with-maqqef cases the> maqqef is there to create> a united
> element to which the preceding word is conjoined.
> The maqqef essentially means that the two words are spoken as one> word,
> and there is only> one primary stress, the word with the maqqef getting
> secondary stress at most.
WBSC: My understanding has been that the use of Hebrew accents could also
reflect the oral understanding/tradition and some words may be considered as
a single entity, even in cantillation, because of this underlying
historical/oral/theological understanding.
> You can read about the cantillation marks here:>
> http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~hr/teamim/
WBSC: Thanks for the reference link. I’ll look into it.
> By the way, in some of the cases above, a comma
between examples would> have helped.
WBSC: I had actually written my message with each verse on a separate line
but it was automatically reformatted on the B-Hebrew server side. That is why
the formatting is as it appears above.
Ronald njkproject.blogspot.comwww.njkproject.infowww.njkproject.info/wbsc