b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Bela (that is, Zoar)"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Bela (that is, Zoar)"
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:42:35 +1100

OK Jim, you're not actually fostering any real discussion or interaction
here. This has simply become yet another expression of speculative statements
which no one can engage with, precisely because they are so speculative and
have virtually no way of being tested. If you insist on your evidence coming
from non-falsifiable assertions and repeating this ad nauseam, then please do
so on a personal blog, not here at B-Hebrew.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, can I suggest before you next post
here at B-Hebrew that you brush up on some basic familiarity with
argumentation, evidence, logic, and the pitfalls of speculation. I'm not
being pernicious with this comment. I'm actually quite serious. The reason I
say this is that if you submitted any of your theories for examination at a
tertiary institution, they would be failed not for being misguided
necessarily, but rather for failing some basic rules in logical
argumentation. None of us here at B-Hebrew I suspect have time to walk you
through these here, other than simply to say that your statements are almost
entirely speculative because they are assertions based on connections and
evidence that cannot really be tested. So, Jim, for the sake of the list and
for your own sake, please read, mark, and inwardly digest some material on
the building blocks of logical arguments.

GEORGE ATHAS
Co-Moderator, B-Hebrew
(Sydney, Australia)