b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] dagesh lene missing in caph - why?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Charles Grebe <cgrebe AT briercrest.ca>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] dagesh lene missing in caph - why?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:57:04 -0600

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the dagesh lene that perhaps someone can help me
with.

In Genesis 28:4, the word "blessing" (birchat avraham) has a dagesh lene
in the caph. This is what I would expect. Birchat word starts with a
closed syllable (bir) and so the shewa under the resh is silent, and so
the begadkefat letter caph takes the dagesh lene.

In Genesis 33:11, the word "my blessing" (birchatay) does not have a
dagesh lene in the caph. I assume that this must be because the shewa is
vocal and therefore the hireq under the bet must be long and the first
syllable must be open. Is that correct or is there another reason why
the dagesh lene would be missing?

Thanks,

Charles Grebe

Director of Distance Learning

Briercrest College and Seminary

Saskatchewan, Canada

-------------------------
Briercrest College and Seminary is a community of rigorous learning that
calls students to seek the kingdom of God, to be shaped profoundly by the
scriptures, and to be formed spiritually and intellectually for lives of
service. www.briercrest.ca
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged proprietary material for
the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, or distribution or
recipient, or authorized to receive the information from the recipient,
please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this
message.