b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Theophoric Names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Theophoric Names
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:24:01 +0200

That's just the point. Gen. 29:32 says that Leah named him Reuben, saying
"because God saw my misery, and now my man will love me". The "ra'ah"
("saw") indicates that there is supposedly an etymological connection
between this sentence and the child's name, buy it's obviously not
one-for-one. What the text does NOT give is the obvious "she called him
Reuben saying: see - a boy!"

Yigal Levin