b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Theophoric Names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "G. Zack" <atdgz AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Theophoric Names
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:12:25 +0000

Just a small personal anecdote...

I named my son Samuel but insisted on this version as being also the Hebrew
name, exactly as such, rather than regarding it as the English rendition of
the Hebrew Shmuel... In other words, I indicated to his teachers that his
name, in Hebrew, is spelled with a Sin, and over here, in Canada his Hebrew
name at a naming ceremony was spelled as Samyoel.

All while having in mind a variant of Ygal's musing with the "Sin" option
interpretation, namely, in my Son's case, "Placed Yo (Yahweh) [to be his]
God (El)". Sam-Yo-El...

Bearing in mind the two parallel traditions of naming god in ancient Israel,
namely El (most likely more so in the north) alongside Yahweh (represented
by Yo--most likely more popular in the south, in Judea), I thought the
somewhat paradoxical equation of both was curious enough for me to choose it
as my son's name...

Just a personal idiosyncrasy and a slightly pertinent anecdote I thought
could be of interest to someone here and brought up by Ygal's comment below...

Now back to your discussion, guys...

Gad Zack
Canada