b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:37:29 +0200

Sorry. I forgot to say that for these reasons I had always understood the
exact opposite. That because the name was so ingrained in its archaic form
it resisted the changes that the rest of the language underwent:

i) The name did not change from YHWH to YHYH as would be expected
ii) The name was written with Hebrew characters even when the rest was still
being written with Aramaic characters.
iii) This practice still continued when the LXX was compiled. Amongst
possible motivations may be the fact that the Greek alphabet is incapable of
representing the exact pronunciation of YHWH and they continued to use YHWH
to preserve the correct pronunciation (this obviously backfired eventually
e.g. PeePee - The almighty god of the Hebrews - probably not quite as
embarassing in Greek as it comes out in English)

James Christian