b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Patriarchs used YHWH's name?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Patriarchs used YHWH's name?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:34:04 +0100

Dear James,

There are more possibilities. In the Tanakh we find YH and YHWH. The forms Yahu (or Yehu, Yaho, or Yeho) are based on the Elephantine papyri, and the name is written there as YHW. It is taken for granted that the last W is a vowel, but why could it not be a consonant? And in that case, which vowels should we add? For example, the 2nd person singular, masculine personal pronoun is normally written as )TH, but it is also written as )T. The final H represents the vowel qamets, but we also assume a qamets below the T when the H i lacking. If this was the case with with the Elephantine YHW, how should we pronounce it? To look at the Greek transcription IAW is not conclusive, because the rough breathing (h) can only occur at the beginning of a word.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

Hi,

obviously Yah, Yeho and Yahu are indisputable. There is far too much
evidence in their favour to be ignored. This kind of puts the EHYEH YIHWEH
relationship into question. I basically see only a few possibilities.

1) EHYEH and YHWH are completely unrelated. This poses no great problems.
2) EHYEH is the 3rd person form of the 1st person name YIHWEH (Yah, Yeho,
Yahu, IAW and IABA pose problems for this theory)
3) The vowel pointing of )HYH is wrong and was purposefully put there to
stop up from reconstructing the correct vowel pointing of YHWH (the
testimony of the LXX translation poses great problems for this theory)

James Christian