b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The 3rd Commandment

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The 3rd Commandment
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:21:36 +0200

Dear Bryant,

Since nobody brought the 3rd Commandment into the discussion before, there
was no reason to change the subject line. Now if you like, we can discuss
the 3rd Commandment as a separate subject. Just remember, all, that the
primary purpose of this list is to discuss language. That can include the
use of language as well, but we will NOT get into a theological discussion!

Personally, I've always understood "not taking God's name in vain" as
meaning not to invoke the Name in false oaths. But I suppose that a wider
interpretation could have added to the reluctance of Second Temple Period
and later Jews to fully pronounce the Name.

In Orthodox Judaism today, YHWH is pronounced Adonai in prayer and in Torah
study when complete biblical passages are being read, and "Hashem" (meaning
"the Name") in almost all other contexts. Likewise, many Orthodox Jews will
avoid saying "Elohim" except in prayer and in Torah study when complete
biblical passages are being read, and say "Elokim" instead, say "Kel" for
"El" and so on, all in order to avoid saying any of God's names "in vain".
BTW, I have never heard anyone avoid saying "Ehyeh".

Yigal Levin