b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Where does the current masoretic text come from?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: mike.sperling AT att.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Where does the current masoretic text come from?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 02:12:23 +0000

I am getting into Biblical Textual Criticism. I have read Textual Criticism
of the Hebrew Bible by Tov, Textual Criticism of the Bible by Wegner, and
several articles online including those by Menachem Cohen. What I am somehow
missing, however, is where the text from which Ashkenazic Torahs are
currently written comes from. I imagine this is also the text in the
Artscroll bibles and the tikkun. I assume (wrongly, perhaps?) that it is not
the Koren, Breuer, or Mikraot Gedolot Haketer editions. It is definitely not
the text of the Second Rabbinic Bible. When and from where did this text
become standardized? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael Sperling

  • [b-hebrew] Where does the current masoretic text come from?, mike . sperling, 11/18/2009