b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Benefit of Modern Eng.?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Benefit of Modern Eng.?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:29:14 -0700 (PDT)

  Yes, Randall. But let us return to BH, for an opposite
example.

  H.N. Bialik was a recognized master of
biblical Hebrew. In fact, a case can be made that this
nineteenth-twentieth century author out-wrote some of
the original biblical authors-editors in their own
language. In fact, I make such an argument when it
comes to "Aluf Baclut w'Aluf Shum" for example.
(I wonder if you ever assign this comic masterpiece to
some of your students?).

   Now Bialik grew up in a Yiddish speaking world,
and picked up Hebrew in some elementary learning situation
like a Cheder.

  Interesting subject.

  Uri Hurwitz

>I am talking about a person who knows not one word of English, who then
studies English for the sole purpose of reading Shakespeare. He has no
intention of speaking to a speaker of modern English. In such a scenario, he
would be better off not learning modern English.>

Sounds nice in theory, but if that person couldn't crank a sentence thru their
head after twenty years of schooling, then I would say that modern english
would have opened up a whole new world to them, including the Shakespearen
world. Modern English doesn't give them the definitive definitions but
provides
the catalyst to make the shakespearean language a real language, fluent
in their head.
Randall

  • [b-hebrew] Benefit of Modern Eng.?, Uri Hurwitz, 10/26/2009