b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Benefit of Modern Heb.?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Benefit of Modern Heb.?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 20:02:48 -0700 (PDT)

   K'vod Hammoreh Rnadall,

   I really didn't follow closely the lively exchanges
about the benefit of knowing modern Hebrew for the
study of biblical Heb.

   One is tempted to ask: how could an anonymous
translator to the Greek of the LXX, or an Ibn Ezra',
or a Gesenius do their respective jobs without modern
Hebrew? I chose different individuals, distant many
centuries from each other.

Perhaps the modern language is not essential for the
knowledge of the old?

  May this reflection encourage some on this list.

  Mimmenni HeHagav,

  Uri Hurwitz