b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:6 very wild guess

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:6 very wild guess
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:06:10 +0000

Gerry,

I was thinking that the word spelled nun ayin vav could be the infinitive nun
vav ayin with the middle vav left out, and the vav at the end could mean
"it's" and not be the plural past ending. I think sometimes vavs are not
written.

I also realize that "her paths" might say "her ways or her courses of action".

I think my translation of the quote is what the source text might say. "Life
is a path. So that you will not make smooth it's wandering (life's wandering
or unstable path), you will not know her path's (her ways)."

The person is warning the son in the Proverb about foreign women whose
footsteps lead to death in the line before this. I think this quote might say
that you won't know her ways, so you can't smooth out your wandering life
with her.

I think words have more than one meaning, so it is a little difficult to
decide exactly which meaning is right, but they are usually pretty close.

Kenneth Greifer

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/