b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 14:19 & Judges 16:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 14:19 & Judges 16:1
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 21:53:43 +0300

I must agree with James' statement below. We must remember, that the social
environment of the biblical world was very different that our own. One of
the factors that made it possible for the Bible and its teachings to remain
relevant to so many people over so many generations, is the fact that it has
constantly been re-interpreted and "updated", always understood to mean what
each generation needed it to mean.

Yigal Levin

Hi all,
to be completely honest, I don't really see the level of sexual morality we
are accustomed to in modern times in the Tanakh. I see that it is bad to:

1) Be a girl and have sex before marriage
2) Be a married woman and have sex with someone who is not your husband
3) Be a man and have sex with someone else's wife

James Christian