b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mishnaic Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mishnaic Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:37:32 +0200

Dear James,

I have not followed this discussion, but after reading your post today I have a few comments.
Mishnaic Hebrew is found in the Mishnah, whose redaction occurred around 250 C.E. A language will change through time, but the language of the books of the Tanakh is remarkably uniform, given that the books were written over a long period of time. Even the so-called Late biblical Hebrew is very similar to the supposed previous stages of the language. In connection with my doctoral dissertation I made a careful study of all the finite and infinite verbs in the books supposed to contain LBH, and I found absolutely no differences in the *meaning* of these verbs compared with that of the supposed older books. But there are of course some other newer traits.

The language of the Mishnah, however, is quite different from that of the Tanakh. Particularly is that the case in connection with the verbal system. In MH the consecutive forms are not extant, and while I will say that BH is an aspect language where the temporal reference must be construed on the basis of the context, MH is a tense language, just as Modern Hebrew. The meaning of some of the stems have also changed compared with BH, and new stems such as Nithpael/Nithpoel and Saphel/Shaphel (from Aramaic) are found. There are also differences regarding the expression of the genitive and the construction of dependent clauses. Because of the great differences, quite a lot of time must have elapsed from the period when BH was spoken until the fully-fledged MH was spoken. In Oslo the students first have studied BH, and then they start with MH. There are so many similarities between BH and MH, as far as the vocabulary is concerned, that the students have few problems in reading MH, once they are taught the syntactic differences. However, all the Aramaic words and clauses found in the Mishnah give the students some problems.

Apart from the DSS, we have few documents from B.C.E. (Ben Sira and the Hebrew inscriptions, though). But if we study the small differences between the Great Isaiah scroll from Qumran and the Masoretic text, there is good evidence that the kind of Hebrew known by the Qumran community was different from that of BH. There is absolutely no evidence that Hebrew ceased to be spoken in the B.C.E., and similarly, there is no reason to take the references to the Hebrew language in the NT (hEBRAIS DIALEKTOS, Acts 21:40) to refer to anything but real Hebrew. If this was MH or something resembling MH we do not know. But the great difference between BH and MH regarding syntax and other matters suggest that the origin of the language that later became MH goes back to B.C.E. A description of MH is found in M. H. Segal "A Grammar of Mishnaic Hebrew".

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

Hi,

recent discussions have caused me a lot of confusion. There have been a lot of references to 'Mishnaic Hebrew' with no-one actually providing a definition of the term. My logical assumption was that people were talking about the Hebrew of the Mishnah which summarises Rabbinic debates from 70-200 i.e. a period which is post second temple period. However, the term has been used in debates to refer to Hebrew of the second temple period. This is quite confusing.

While we can look to MSS of the Mishnah to understand the Hebrew used to compose it is there anything at all written in Hebrew from the second temple period that we can use to define the form of second temple period Hebrew?

James Christian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.