b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Mishnaic Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Mishnaic Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:44:01 +0100

Hi,

recent discussions have caused me a lot of confusion. There have been a lot of references to 'Mishnaic Hebrew' with no-one actually providing a definition of the term. My logical assumption was that people were talking about the Hebrew of the Mishnah which summarises Rabbinic debates from 70-200 i.e. a period which is post second temple period. However, the term has been used in debates to refer to Hebrew of the second temple period. This is quite confusing.

While we can look to MSS of the Mishnah to understand the Hebrew used to compose it is there anything at all written in Hebrew from the second temple period that we can use to define the form of second temple period Hebrew?

James Christian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.