b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Robert Alter on Joseph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Robert Alter on Joseph
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:15:35 -0700

Jim:

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 6:52 PM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Karl:
>

> Here is your own theory of the ages of people in the Patriarchal narratives:
>

> “Is this history or not? If history, then this is evidence that for whatever
>

> reason, people’s lives have been getting shorter.”
>

> In the historical Bronze Age?
>

> What do you know about the historical Bronze Age? From what I have seen, I
would conclude “very little”.

Apparently you have swallowed hook, line and sinker, uncritically, certain
beliefs about the Bronze Age for which there is either no historical data to
back up you and the scholars you trusted, or the data are very sketchy.

Further, there are data from archeology and other historical records that
contradict your claims. That has been a consistent pattern in your postings.

> Karl, if that’s your belief, then we’ve got nothing more to discuss on this
> subject.
>

> Seeing as you also distorted what the text recorded…

> Jim Stinehart
>
> Evanston, Illinois

How do you talk away the founding of the office of vizier in ancient Egypt
by Joseph, Genesis 41, and the many parallels with the legendary Imhotep who
founded the office of vizier under Zoser (Djoser)? Both were Asiatic, both
lived to an age of 110 years, both saved the country from a seven year
famine, both founded the income tax system of 20%, and many other parallels.
Yes, Imhotep was a real person, whose memory was made into legend by later
generations. (There goes your spring and fall counting of years too.) Why
don’t facts like this make you question that maybe, just maybe, your beloved
secular history might be off by a tad?