b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Stoney Breyer" <stoneyb AT touchwoodcreative.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 14:52:25 -0500

Gabe wrote:
. . . I can't see how he could be a competent scientist. . .

I reply:
Well, I've come to think that very few people in *any* field have much grasp
of their disciplines' theoretical and historical underpinnings. I've known
theologically illiterate pastors, economically illiterate financial
advisors, musicians who couldn't read a note of music, actors who never
heard of Bernard Shaw or Anton Chekhov. It didn't keep any of them from
being very capable practitioners.

Stoney Breyer
Writer/Touchwood