b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Complexity and Dating of Hebrew Texts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Complexity and Dating of Hebrew Texts
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:31:19 +1000

Yes, Zephaniah was a person who lived prior to the destruction of Jerusalem
in 586 BC. All indications are that he was a very young lad when he
prophesied, and so I presume that he was deported to Babylonia, or fled to
Egypt. The section of the Twelve that bears his name must, therefore, have
pre-exilic elements. However, since we have no independent book of Zephaniah,
and the earliest evidence we have for it comes from the larger Book of the
Twelve, which is definitely postexilic, it is difficult to know just how much
Zephaniah's contribution has been affected. Is there a way you can
distinguish 'original' material from later redactional layers?

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au