b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Justiss <jljustiss AT msn.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The use of the Yiqtol in Isaiah 1:21
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:19:09 -0500

Karl

Thank you for responding. If the context is refering to present realities
wouldn't this necessitate translating the Yiqtol with a present tense though?
The context does seem to be refering to the past. This and the evidence from
the versions is very powerful to suggest a past reading. I was just wondering
if there was any more grammatical evidence other than context to guide us in
knowing when a Yiqtol may be refering to the past. Does X Yiqtol ever do
this, or are past reference Yiqtols usually clause initial?Also, verse 26 in
the immediate context seems to be predicting that one day after this the city
will once again be called the city of righteousness and the faithful city. I
just thought perhaps this X Yiqtol construct (a construction which very often
has a "+ projection") might be doing the same thing, i.e. functioning as a
little tiny insertion of a "predictive narrative" as Longacre likes to call
it.

Thanks

Joe Justiss