b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] $XR = black?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] $XR = black?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:43:07 -0700

Jim:

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 12:59 PM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Karl:
>

> You wrote: “[T]he context of the invasion following the Exodus was that
> God would
>
> drive out the previous peoples little by little, over several generations,
> not all at once (c.f. Exodus 23:30, Deuteronomy 7:22). Therefore the
> suggestion that Joshua would lead the fight to finish the occupation is
> nonsense.”
>

> The specific question at issue on this thread is how far west the border of
> the Promised Land extended. I believe most people read the Bible as saying
> that the southwestern edge of the Promised Land was somewhere just
> southwest of Gaza, or perhaps a considerable distance south of Gaza, but
> not very far west of Gaza. That is to say, the Promised Land does not
> include the Sinai.
>

> Simple, Genesis 15:18 and other verses answer that, the NHR MCRYM
(streaming river of Egypt). You should have known that. Some commentaries
say that this NHR MCRYM was a stream in the western Sinai, others the Nile,
so either way the promised land included most if not all the Sinai.

However, the possession of that promise was conditional, and never did
Israel fulfill its side of the bargain according to the text of Tanakh.

> In particular, in my opinion the Promised Land does n-o-t extend as far
> west as the northeastern edge of the Nile Delta, which is located on the
> northwest corner of the desolate Sinai. I am arguing that $YXWR at Joshua
> 13: 3 is not referencing the northeastern edge of the Nile Delta.
>
> How far can we trust your opinion? Does not what counts is the written
text, making your opinion worthless?

Further, $YXWR is atypical for a Hebrew word (maybe modern, but not Biblical
Hebrew) but makes sense as an Egyptian proper name.