b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re : Re : hatuf patah under the lamed (LHBDYL) in Gen 1, 18 and Lev 10, 10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re : Re : hatuf patah under the lamed (LHBDYL) in Gen 1, 18 and Lev 10, 10
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 22:46:49 -0500

1. The name XATAP PATAX does not connote, methinks, a PATAX XATUP, a snatched or "short" PATAX, but rather the combination XATAP+PATAX, where XATAP is another word for schwa. It indicates a PATAX standing in place of a schwa, or an ambiguity.
2. Any claim as to how ancient Hebrew, or for that matter, "Tiberian Masoretic", sounded is imaginary, and any argument based on "short" and "long" vowels or consonants, or on a "vocal schwa", should be summarily dismissed as a deception.
3. The existence of an apparently redundant XATAP PATAX in an ancient text means that it is an old variant.
4. My school bible has הַמֲלַקְקִים Jud 7:6,7 (not 1Samuel as I had it erroneously before) with a schwa under the M. Obviously MA-MA-LAQQIYM is silly. My school bible has in Gen 2:12 UZAHAB with a XATAP PATAX under the Z, which is so so, considering that the noun is ZAHAB. It has also a XATAP PATAX in Gen 21:6 under the C of YICAXAQ. I am tempted to use on it a drop of Tipp-Ex and set it aright.
5. There is no situation for which a rule can not be configured.

Isaac Fried, Boston University