b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re : Re : hatuf patah under the lamed (LHBDYL) in Gen 1, 18 and Lev 10, 10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Laurent Pinchard <ougaritique AT yahoo.fr>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re : Re : hatuf patah under the lamed (LHBDYL) in Gen 1, 18 and Lev 10, 10
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:11:04 -0500

Laurent,

I tend to agree with Uri Hurwitz of this list that a XATAP PATAX under a non "guttural" letter should be considered a misplacement.
As for the double lettered words, I looked again at the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, of which I have a copy on my desk, to find there: בְּתְחַנְנוֹ Gen 42:21; הַמֲלַקְקִים Samuel I 7:6,7; בְּהִתְפַּלְלוֹ Job 42:10; with no dagesh in the first letter of the pair. Any Hebrew speaker of today routinely puts a bold E between the twain to read BHITXAN[E]NO, HAMLAQ [E]QIM, BHITPAL[E]LO to clearly articulate, for the benefit of his listeners, both repeating letters. His meek schoolmaster apologetically explains that this E override for the schwa is but a "half vowel". I that I detest the schwa "NA(" read BHITXAN[]NO, HAMLAQ []QIM, BHITPAL[]LO with brief silent skips.
On the other hand I find: חִלְּלוֹ Deut 20:6; וְהִתְחַנְּנוּ Kings I 8:33; with a dagesh.
All this is testimony, I think, either to the struggles and disagreements the early NAQDANIM had with this issue, or to the fact that later punctuators hired by various publishers of the Hebrew bible did what they saw fit.

Isaac Fried, Boston University