b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] )BL Mistranslated at I Samuel 6: 18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] )BL Mistranslated at I Samuel 6: 18
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 16:53:35 -0800

Jim:

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:48 AM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Karl:
>

> 1. You wrote: “First of all, we are talking about Hebrew, not Canaanite.”
>

> That is a misleading statement. The Hebrews passively recorded many
> Canaanite geographical place names. Thus the presence of )BL in a
> Canaanite geographical place name, such as Abel-Beth-Maacah, does not mean
> that )BL was used as a common noun regarding places in Canaan in Biblical
> Hebrew. )BL is never used that way in the Bible.

Oh? Where is your source? This is the third time I ask this question.

> Accordingly, it is quite important to distinguish between (i) Biblical
> Hebrew common nouns in good standing that are used in the Bible outside of
> geographical place names, such as XBR and XBL, as opposed to (ii) a
> Canaanite word that only appears in the Bible as the beginning part of a
> geographical place name. XBR and XBL are good Biblical Hebrew words. )BL
> is not (at least outside of Daniel, as discussed below) a regular Biblical
> Hebrew word regarding a topographical feature of Canaan (meadow, river,
> etc.). [)BL meaning “mourning” is a Biblical Hebrew word.]

Are you sure the two are not connected, namely through the tears that flow
during mourning?

> 2. You wrote: “Secondly, )BL, alternate spelling )WBL, is found in 14
> verses in Tanakh: as early as Numbers before Israel crossed the Jordan,
> also in Judges, Samuel
>
> and Kings as well as Daniel.”
>

> )WBL is found nowhere but in Daniel.

Shows how much you know about the Bible.

> Surely you would agree that one unique reference in Daniel to a river in
> Mesopotamia or Persia can have little bearing on the origin of
> XBRWN/XBRN/“Hebron” as the name of the place where Abraham sojourns.

Of course, it’s a completely different word, different spelling, different
meaning.

> In all the other cases you cite, )BL is the first part of a Canaanite
> geographical place name. Abel-Shittim at Numbers 33: 49. Abel-Meholah at
> Judges 7: 22. Abel-Keramiym at Judges 11: 33. The Sorek Valley, literally
> “Great Meadowland at Beth-shemesh”, at I Samuel 6: 18. The other
> references in Samuel are to Abel-Beth-Maacah. The references in Kings are
> either to Abel-Beth-Maacah or Abel-Meholah.

The reference in Daniel is also to a specific watercourse, the same as the
other examples.

> I agree with the general scholarly view that )BL in the pre-Daniel books
> means “meadow” or something similar, and is different from )WBL or )BL in
> Daniel meaning “river”.

Is that “general scholarly view” objectively true, or only in your mind,
like many of your other claims? Or only a unique view that you claim is
general?

> 3. You wrote: “Third, do not confuse this noun with a participle
> concerning the action of water flowing, as you did with two mentions in
> Isaiah.”
>

> Isaiah 30: 25 and 44: 4 use a different word: YBL. YBL likely is related
> to the words )WBL and )BL used in Daniel, and is focused on water. YBL in
> other contexts refers to the action of water flowing. It’s all focused on
> water, which is not how the Canaanite word )BL is used, either in the Bible
> (excluding Daniel) or in secular history.
>

> 4. You wrote: “Fourthly, I asked you, where do you get your strange
> definition, and you did not answer me. You did not get it from studying the
> text of Hebrew.”
>

> Excluding Daniel, )BL in context in the Bible (as a topographical word)
> always seems to refer to “meadow” or “excellent pastureland”.

That’s what I question, and so far you have provided no reason to believe
you. Whereas there is good reason from within the text that )BL means
watercourse.

> Moreover, if you look at the context of how )BL is used historically, such
> as on the Thutmosis III list and as elsewhere attested in Canaanite
> geographical place names, it once again means “meadow” or “excellent
> pastureland”. This is the definition that secular historians tell us. The
> Bible and secular history are fully in accord on this.

The 10th century BC Thutmosis III / Shisherka list is irrelevant until after
you verify your claims, which so far you have failed to do. You haven’t even
tried.

> Finally, in a previous post, I noted the only decent footnote I found in
> any translation regarding )BL at I Samuel 6: 18:
>

> “Reading ‘eben with some Heb. mss., Septuagint, and Targum, most mss. and
>
> editions ‘abel, ‘meadow[?]’.” 2003 JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh

Looking at the context, this is a time that the word refers not to a
geological formation, but to the action of mourning. That footnote is wrong.
You need to learn Hebrew and read it in Hebrew, not depend on translations.

> Why should that be any surprise to anyone? Why would that be considered
> controversial?

Because you have not demonstrated that it is true.