b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] )BL Mistranslated at I Samuel 6: 18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] )BL Mistranslated at I Samuel 6: 18
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 22:16:15 EST

Karl:
You wrote: “Where )BL, alternate spelling )WBL, is clearly defined, it
refers to a
watercourse, such as an irrigation ditch or stream bed. It has nothing to do
with pastureland (except to water it). With this being the case, your
equation makes no sense.”
The word )WBL, and its variant )BL, only appear in the late Book of Daniel,
and they are talking about a river way out in Mesopotamia. Daniel 8: 2, 3,
6
Most scholars do not see this word as being the same as )BL that is used 12
times in the Bible as the first word in Canaanite geographical place names.
)WBL and its shortened form )BL, meaning “river”, may be related to YBL,
which means “watercourse” or “stream”. Isaiah 30: 25; 44: 4
By sharp contrast, the Canaanite word )BL is not talking about a river or a
stream, but rather is talking about “excellent pastureland” or “meadow”,
such as Abel-Beth-Maacah or the Sorek Valley. That Canaanite word )BL is
the
same as the Egyptian letters JBR, which reference the Elah Valley, the Sorek
Valley, the Aijalon Valley, and Abel-Beth-Maacah on the Thutmosis III list.
JBR/)BL is referencing a meadowland, not a river.
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois