b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] )BL Mistranslated at I Samuel 6: 18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] )BL Mistranslated at I Samuel 6: 18
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:41:39 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

Jim

There may be one issue you are missing in this argument. There was a
regular change from strong to weak laryngeals/pharyngeals in general across
time in many Semitic languages. The Massoretic text - at least the
consonantal text - represents an earlier pronunciation than the Samaritan
text. It is probably somewhat simplistic, but the consensus is that both
Hebrew and Aramaic weakened heth to 'ayin and he to 'aleph, with a later
weakening of 'ayin to 'aleph in some areas. Kha had already weakened to
heth in NW Semitic earlier. This (apart from kha) followed the path that
Akkadian took many centuries earlier. For Palestine it is usually dated
fairly late, so the Samaritan text is reflecting a *later* form of Hebrew,
not a northern form. You need some evidence that any northern Hebrew or
Canaanite dialect had made this change before c. C15th BC. If you find no
evidence in the parts of the Tanakh ascribed to northern writers, and/or no
evidence in Phoenician texts, then your argument will forever remain one of
it might be...". If you found a regular weakening present in Ugaritic,
that also might help your case, but my understanding is that Ugaritic -
which is later than you date the patriarchal stories - evidences the change
from proto-Semitic with 27 consonants to Canaanite with 22 consonants, but
not the weakening of heth or he. At the moment you are trying to use mostly
late evidence to argue for an earlier dialectal form. There is AFAIK no
evidence for northern Canaanite or Hebrew weakening anywhere near early
enough to support your case. The Phoenician texts and the Hebrew texts
support the retention of heth at least as late as C4th BC. You could argue
that weakening happened earlier and was then replaced, but while there is a
good argument to make for that for medieval Hebrew under Arabic influence,
it would be much harder to argue it for early Hebrew or Canaanite.

Kevin Riley